Thursday, December 14, 2006

Why I don't want to be a Southern Baptist At Times

There are times when I don't want to be a Southern Baptist. The post I linked to above is the first in a series of 16 articles (no, I have not read the others). I think he makes some good points. But I think his main point is that we have lost the Gospel in the SBC. The latest blog entry of Dr. Tom Ascol of Founders is the first blog posting I read on this issue and is short but well worth reading.

http://www.founders.org/blog/2006/12/nathan-finn-on-what-ails-sbc.html

Please understand, this is not (necessarily) a Calvinism issue, nor should it be. This is an issue of the Gospel itself and calling sinners to redemption and transformation in Christ. Though I have serious doubts about the future of the SBC, I have strong hopes as well. We have many excellent young men resolved to live lives of obedience and faith to God, and determined to make a difference. We have many older Christian gentlemen who serve us as wise mentors and veteran soldiers in the fight of faith against the deadening effects of sin in our culture. God reserved 7,000 to His name who had not bowed the knee to Baal or kissed him (1 Kings 19:18 and Romans 11:1-5), and they were completely unknown to the greatest prophet Israel had at that time apparently. So there remains hope. But as always that hope must be centered in God and in His Son Jesus Christ.

6 comments:

Jason said...

we talked about this a little. Going to a SBC college, and serving for a while in an SBC church, I am very disapointed. I'm not sure Presby isn't the way to go, if indeed that's even possible.

Byroniac said...

Don't forget Reformed Baptist. That is more important to me than the three-letter denominational label "SBC" now. I am Calvinist, of which I am dogmatic and no longer open-minded. I'm also Credobaptist, but I'm not fully dogmatic on the issue (yet) and plan to study it in depth. But my point I intended was this: you do not have to be Presbyterian simply because you are Reformed in theology. However, I am much closer to PCA and OPC Presbyterian beliefs now than the ordinary SBC beliefs, myself.

Chris said...

3 cheers. hurah, hurah, hurah... if we run now we can be safe and secure .... afte all that his what God calledusto right?... and whey can have alll those churches to theirselves ... becasue it would teach them igf we give up and turn over all disciples to them instead of standing for truth and changing things.


Gal 2:11 When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong.

Chris said...

could be worse byron, you could be BMA!!!!

Chris said...

oh byron.......


why i am glad to be a southern baptist

Byroniac said...

Thanks for the link!