Friday, January 25, 2008

When God Wears You Out

Job 42:1-6 (ESV)

1 Then Job answered the LORD and said:

2 “I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.

3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.

4 ‘Hear, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.’

5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;

6 therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.”

This has truly been a blessed evening.

We're having a Bible conference at the church I belong to, which started Thursday night and will continue through Sunday morning. And I haven't really cared until tonight, after the services. I came to church in bitterness and rebellion against God, and left filled with mercy and grace in Christ, with I hope more than a little genuine repentance.

That brings me to my point, and I hope this post will not be overly long.

God can and will wear you out.

When you finally get tired of pleading your own will to God, when you finally have enough trying to bargain your will against His, when you finally give up trying to get your way, struggling to move the Divine Hand of mercy and grace away from His channel of blessing, just like Joseph attempted at his father Jacob's blessing of the two boys Ephraim and Manessah, you realize that God can and did wear you out. When you have ground down to the last bone-dry measure of stubbornness, and collapse wearied and spent, you find Him and His will unchanged. Exhausted, drained of stubbornness and rebellion, with no where to go but down on your knees in prayer and up in humble reverence and submission to the One who sits on the throne, Christ Jesus the Lord and Redeemer of His own, the time finally arrives that you humble yourself, quietly submit, and worship Him who alone is Lord and God, who rules in Sovereign Majesty and Eternal Dominion, who sits enthroned, exalted, and eternal in the Heavens, without needing or requesting your permission or recognition of His right to be exactly who He is: Jesus Christ, Lord and God.

Praise God! Hallelujah!!

3 comments:

selahV said...

Byron, what power in these words. how ready for God and His might when once we are worn down by His Sovereign will. amem. selahV

Byroniac said...

Thank you SelahV! I suppose I really ought to blog more... say, maybe I can come visit you on yours? It's a lot more exciting there. ;)

selahV said...

Byron, you can always come and visit me on my blogs. don't know about excitement, but I do enjoy your comments. they make me think. it's odd how when we write a post that someone sees something different in it than we'd seen before or had intended for it to be read. I like the feedback. especially when people are nice when they say it.

and YES, you should blog more. you have an incredible mind. you don't need to write what others write, your heart is much better than you realize, my son--my brother. selahV